Friday, April 10, 2015

The Meltdown...


I've had a great number of people message me to tell me a meltdown "can't be that bad. All kids have them." You. Are. Wrong. There is a difference between a temper tantrum and a meltdown. Period. A tantrum is used to express displeasure or frustration, communicate when they don't have adequate language, get attention, or attempt to manipulate a situation. (My boys have tantrums like any other kid might.) A meltdown is a 100% fight-or-flight reaction to something their body perceives as a threat. 

Sensory bodies don't perceive the world around them as a neurotypical person might. For Sheldon, the sound of crying causes him physical pain, and his body will do ANYTHING to make that pain stop. There is no bargaining or communicating your way out of a meltdown. It will NOT pass until the perceived threat is gone. 

My baby is the sweetest & most loving little man on the planet - until his body feels threatened. Even then he is not trying to hurt me. He is trying to get relief. 

As I sit here heartbroken in tears with handprints on my face, arms, & legs; a bruise on my chest from being head-butted; a knot on my head; and a splitting headache; I can honestly say I would (and I will) take it all over again to keep him from hurting himself. After yet another seizure, I can honestly say my brain is fried, but I'm not angry with him in the least. After he looks me in the face with tears brimming in his eyes & says, "I sorry, Mommy," I can't help but love him more, because he needs more - no, he needs a different kind of love than other kids. He's my baby, my heart, and I will love him with all I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment