Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Real Life

I just wish I had the words to help someone understand. Autism/sensory meltdowns are a completely different beast than tantrums. Most parents of neurotypical children only know tantrums, so explaining a meltdown is challenging. Of those who do understand an autism/sensory meltdown, even fewer have ever dealt with one in an individual who is sound asleep. Sweet. Moses.

When Bub is awake, you can look at him and gauge how upset he is, find out what the trigger is, remove the offending sensory trigger from him, or there's even a very small chance you can reason with him. When he's asleep, all bets are off. All you can do is try to keep him from accidentally hurting himself. He's getting so big that I can hardly do it anymore. Thankfully the ones in his sleep aren't nearly as frequent as they used to be.

This is roughly 30 minutes after the meltdown. I had a PNES episode and don't really know how long I was out. You can still see the marks on my face and neck from him trying to escape whatever set him off while I tried to keep him safe. I'm not certain what it was. There was a baby crying in Scheels tonight & he has 3 loose teeth, one of which is really bothering him. It could have been either, or both, or something completely different. Who knows?

He goes back to sleep, Cory never wakes up, and I'm left alone struggling not to sob hysterically. (That would trigger it again. Crying is not allowed!) He's the sweetest boy. Why does his sensory disorder have to be so strong? My poor love. It breaks my heart every single time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment