Thursday, March 24, 2016

SPD


For people who have never cared for an individual with SPD (sensory processing disorder), it may sound like a made-up diagnosis to justify a child's behavior. To those of us who live it daily (I have two boys with SPD & let's face it, my SPD is pretty severe when I have a migraine), it's a very real and challenging condition to navigate daily.

It's sprinkling outside. This isn't a storm - it's more of a gentle "pitter  patter" - but it's enough to be heard on the windowpanes & roof. Sheldon was yelling for me, so I hurried into his room. He was sound asleep, stimming his hands in fear that it was going to thunder. Thunder is a pretty big trigger for him. I turned up his white noise machine & assured him it was just rain before he finally settled into a deeper sleep. 

This condition is very real. SPD is so much of a part of Sheldon that his body reacts to triggers in his sleep the same way he would when he's awake. Please be informed & be kind to those who behave differently than you do. You never know what is going on deep inside... 

No comments:

Post a Comment